Some progress has been made again on the layout. Over the recent Labor Day holiday I spent some time marking out locations for joint bars on the layout. Using my scale rule, marked with tape, and a sharpie marker, I located the joints 39 scale feet apart. Then with some CA and laser cut joint bars from Precision Scale Company, I added the bars to both sides of each rail at the appropriate points.
The next day, I painted the track using some Rustolium camouflage brown. The resulting color is quite close to the dark brown rust on the rails that I’ve been studying out at the Illinois Railway Museum.
With all of that now dry, the next step will be painting the ties to simulate untreated redwood ties. The palate will likely be mostly grays. Then I’ll add some additional rust highlights to the rail, and we’ll move on to painting the fascia and laying down ground cover.
I should have an update on the NP boxcar project in the next few days. It’s close to heading for the paint shop.