The year past was rough indeed for many of us. My hope as I look forward into 2021 at modeling plans is that things will be more positive and the energy to tackle projects will be forthcoming.
With a look toward positivity, and energy, I don’t think it’s pertinent for me to plan a whole year full of modeling at this moment. One thing I had reinforced from last year was that plans must be flexible, and goals attainable, with get-ahead projects possible once goals are met.
My plan, then, is to take 2021 one Quarter at a time. Plan for January, February, and March with the materials I have here now, and look to the next quarter of the year near the end of March, when it’s easier to plan those months, and when projects might lead to new projects.
That said, there are quite a few things to do!
By the end of January, I would like to:
- Finish track installation on my 18″ x 6′ switching layout. That will involve soldering the track, attaching a switching lead, finishing the wiring, inserting ties under track joints and adding wheel stops to the proper locations.
- Weather the locomotive for said switching layout.
- Test all the track by running the layout. Take a freight car or two and the locomotive and run them over everything, multiple times.
- Finish the Proto48 ATSF Bx2 Boxcar. This needs finished weathering, trucks, and final detail-decals applied.
By the end of February, I would like to:
- Weather the 4 freight cars I received for Christmas.
- Build 1 industry structure for the switching layout.
- Finish the two Proto48 UTLX frameless tank cars.
By the end of March, I would like to:
- Build a second industry structure for the switching layout.
- Finish theProto48 PRR flat car model.
As you can see, even planning for one quarter of the year gets less specific as things move out. I’d like to include things like collecting some materials for Proto48 structure projects, drawing up track plans, and other things, but we’ll see how this goes. The goals for each month have been chosen to be easily completed to build momentum, and to do things with materials I already have. My hope is that by the 2nd quarter of 2021 placing orders for materials is easier and shipping is a little faster, so that when I reach the point of needing materials for projects come that quarter, it will be possible to pick a few things that might need orders placed.
Let’s get to it.