The weather and schedule cooperated this weekend for me to make a little progress on my P48 YV module. This is a test run that will eventually be part of the larger plan.
The goal this weekend was to make ‘mud’. The process has been in several articles over the last few years in some of the modeling publications. The essence of the idea is that you’re making paper machete by using celluclay and latex paint. Some people add vermiculite to the mix. I wanted to try out adding a powdered concrete coloring agent. The idea there being that the powder provides another dry colored material that is color-fast.
I got ready to start and then discovered that my paint had frozen over the winter and turned to a solid rock in the can. A trip to Hole Depot solves that this morning, and then I got to work.
This is not a clean project. I highly recommend wearing gloves like I did. However, the end result, with seams in sub roadbed filled and some minimal cleanup to do with a dental pick along the track before I tackle detailing that this week, is pleasing. No mor sea of pink foam!
I’ll now let this dry for a few days before I clean up a couple of spots, paint the fascia, and detail the track. I’m aiming to have static grass on before it gets cold here. The module has a spot inside the house in the near future.
More to come. The mud is almost dry, and it’ll be time to move to the next step before the coming long weekend.